(For those unfamiliar, Mr. Delicious is my nickname for my son. I really don’t recall when I dubbed him this but I always use to say he was so delicious and somehow it morphed into calling him Mr. Delicious.)
I’m not sure when I’ll show this to you. I’m doing my best to hold onto these memories of you as a child and how amazing and awesome you are. The funny things you say, the sweet way you are, your desire to cuddle. I know one day this will be a fleeting memory. There’s a good chance you’ll be an asshole when you’re a teenager or maybe not. But I want you to know the person you are and how much you swell my heart every day. So you might read this when you’re 13, or maybe when you head off to college or perhaps before you get married. You might read it more than once. You likely will blush or say, ‘Mom!’ in an embarrassed way, but you will know you are loved beyond measure. Because these are all the things I love about you and make you special. These are the things I treasure and hold onto until my heart feels like it will explode. I love you to the moon and back. xoxo
- When I put you to bed at night, you always ask if I’ll lay with you (as if I’d say no) and when I tell you good night and I love you, you always say repeatedly, “Good night Mommy. See you in the morning.” For whatever reason you tell me you’ll see me in the morning more than once. I find this incredibly endearing.
- The way you grab my hand when crossing the street and how you always kiss the top of my hand.
- Our secret “love you” hand squeeze.
- How you commentate your indoor soccer games to yourself and even write down the score sometimes.
- Hearing you sing along to the radio from the backseat of the car. Especially when it’s a pop song.
- Hearing you sing the Star Spangled Banner in the shower. Yes, you do this.
- When you ask me to dry you fresh out of the shower, just so you can give me a wet hug. And your awesome monster towel.
- The way you giggle and run away when you think I might bite your belly.
- Watching you help me make dinner and how you love to chop the veggies and sneak bites of them, especially when they go on the floor (“can I eat this?” – 5-second rule)!
- How you turn my face so you can kiss me on the cheek.
- When you tell me you love me at a random time for no reason at all. And our contests to see who loves the other more (“I love you more than ice cream. I love you more than Russia and China combined. I love you to infinity and beyond.”)
- When I lay next to you and admire your perfectly round head.
- Your beautiful long eyelashes.
- When you do sad puppy dog eyes to get your way but realize it won’t work.
- How you get mad when I mention anything to do with girls.
- When you ask me to help you put on your soccer socks or tie your shoes (which you can do but you want Mommy to do it).
- How you organize your beanies and stuffed animals before going to bed.
- How you still sound like a baby on the phone but you can hold a very adult conversation in person.
- Your one word response emails.
- Your excellent manners. “Thank you Mommy.”
- How you’re my partner in crime for things I want to do but you now want to do as well.
- How inquisitive you are.
- Your often astute and hilarious observations. Seeing the world through your eyes is probably one of my biggest joys.
- Your love and tolerance of selfies.
Clearly this list could be, and is, never ending. I’ll always think of things to add and perhaps I will as you grow. But no matter the length or the content, you will always know that you are loved. More than words.
Love you so much, Mommy. xoxo